Saturday, December 22, 2012

DIY Galaxy Vans

Hey hey, what's cooking good-looking? Haha anyway, today I'm going to show/tell you how I made galaxy Vans.
Quick note, does it bother anyone that most people don't use actual Vans? I used my actual ones, carpe diem. (No YOLO's here.)

BEFORE: So my vans are just normal ones, black with blue lining. And now it's time for the magic.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED: 1. Blue, purple, and pink acrylic paint
2. Tape, preferably duck or masking.
3. A paintbrush
4. Silver/white paint for the stars (optional)
5. Glitter glue (also optional)
Let's get down to business!

So first I taped the white plastic-y parts of my Vans, and any other areas I didn't want the paint to get on. I would recommend this so your shoes don't look super paint splattered after.
Then the painting started. I painted with blue first and covered every part with blue since it's like my "main" color for the shoes. Then I sponged until I found the optimal effect/texture I liked. And then I added pink and purple but just in concentrated areas like clouds almost., and sponged and faded accordingly. One bit of advice: don't layer on a bunch at once! It'll be hard to remove the paint once it's dried on, and acrylic dries pretty fast on Vans. Unless you like that kinda thick all-over color. I don't know, that's just what I try to avoid.
Okay so the painting is done, and I set them over an air conditioning vent in my house but you can leave them anywhere to dry. Afterwards when they were dry, I restrung the shoelaces and then I got the glitter glue and just painted it on (not in thick layers) just here and there. And then I waited again. Bam! Now white/silver paint time. You can use either or neither depending on what you like. I painted some spots just dots and others, thin "addition" signs and then I waited for it to dry. And there you have, diy galaxy vans! I'll upload the finished picture later, I'm out and about right now.

Thanks loves! Have fun!




2 comments:

  1. So awesome! Definitely trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! I tried this out and it worked awesome.

    ReplyDelete